Friday, January 18, 2008

Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries: Another Best

When I was visiting my sister in northern Virginia she said she knew of a good burger place, and took me to Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries (FGBF) in nearby Reston. Although, I know that sis has a pretty good sense of the good and the bad when it comes to road food, and expected that a pretty good burger was in my immediate future, I was still more than a little surprised at how good a burger I actually had at FGFB's.

I liked everything about Five Guys from the “free” bucket of peanuts to the pseudo White Castle like atmosphere of the restaurant, and while not as challenging as ordering say a, triple grande sugar free vanilla latte at Starbuck's, ordering a burger at FGFB’s is still a little tricky, especially for a newbie.

The standard cheese burger at Five Guys is a two patty affair made using never frozen beef and two slices of American cheese, dressed as you like it from a list of thousands of toppings – OK, not thousands but certainly many. I limited mine to onions, lettuce, tomato, and the condiments to mayo and a dab of yellow mustard.

My cheeseburger was cooked to perfection, and the juices dripped on its foil/paper wrapping with each bite. The fries, made from whole spuds sliced in front of you, are fried in peanut oil, and served in a cup. Malt vinegar is available to sprinkle on top of your fries, which of course I did.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great description. I'm getting hungry for a cheeseburger!