Tuesday, January 1, 2008

What's for Lunch?


For one entire summer my lunch included a BLT sandwich. It was the summer before my senior year at Cal Poly, in San Luis Obispo, California; I was taking three courses, and every day my lunch consisted of a bowl of Campbell’s tomato soup, and a BLT sandwich with strips of crisp bacon, fresh lettuce leaves, slices of ripe tomato, layered between two slices of mayonnaise covered toast.

When the local Safeway ran a special on TV dinners I filled a basket with an assortment, and then got a rain check for more. The dinners were $.25, and on my budget they were a lifesaver. For nearly three months I ate a BLT for lunch and a TV dinner in its aluminum tray at night.

To this day I still love BLT’s, but I can’t stand TV dinners. Go figure.

No comments: